Hobbs Estates Ltd is a family run business that began trading over 60 years ago. The company was set up by Eric Hobbs, alongside his wife Margaret, and was first incorporated as E Hobbs (Farms) Ltd in 1958. Originally established as a farm, our business has evolved over time into what it is today.
At the beginning , the farm business was located in Upminster and then moved to Earls Colne Airfield, a former U.S.A.A.F WWII airbase, in 1965. The site was transformed into workable farmland and over the next 20 or so years various arable crops were grown here including wheat, potatoes and soft fruits.
During the 1980s the business started shifting its attention from agriculture to commercial property development and letting. Initially, old hangar buildings and farm barns were let to other businesses. Following the success of this venture, Earls Colne Business Park began to emerge as a mixture of both industrial and office units that we developed ourselves. In the early 1990s, the Earls Colne Golf and Country Club, now known as The Essex, was constructed on the remaining majority of the farmland. The entire site is now home to around 40 businesses who employ over 1,400 people, whilst also being a popular leisure destination owing to the Country Club.
Today, we continue to grow our portfolio through the expansion of the business park at Earls Colne and the acquisition of new opportunities elsewhere in East Anglia. Our latest project being the redevelopment of the former Fisons House office building in Ipswich, now known as Connexions159, which we delivered alongside a joint venture partner.
The business is currently being run by the second and third generations of the Hobbs family alongside our long serving team. Some of whom have been with us from the start of the journey and all of whom have worked at least 10 years at the company.